Understanding your vehicle’s towing capacity is essential to vacationing with the peace of mind and confidence you want to have while traveling.
We’ve made it easy for you to calculate your towing capacity so you can safely tow your new or used RV appropriate for your vehicle without worrying about overloading your engine.
How Much Can I Tow?
It’s easy! Using our towing capacity guide, input your vehicle’s year, make, and model. Our towing capacity generator will tell you your maximum towing capacity. Keep in mind, this capacity includes passenger weight, luggage you’ve packed in, liquid in your tanks, and so forth. Although this tool can help you determine your towing capacity, you’ll want to confirm this specifically with your vehicle’s manufacturer before buying or hauling your new or used RV.
Extra Terms You Should Know
Don’t get lost in the weeds of unfamiliar terms. Here’s a quick rundown of terms you’ll see when shopping for an RV:
- Dry Weight/Shipped Weight – The weight of the RV as shipped from the manufacturer without any passengers, cargo, liquids, or additional accessories or dealer installed options.
- Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) – The current combined weight of the RV (dry weight) plus passengers, cargo, and liquids.
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) – The maximum allowed weight of an Vehicle/RV, including passengers, cargo, fluids, etc..
- Cargo Weight – The total weight of all passengers, food, clothing, liquids, accessories, etc.. that you might put into your RV.
- Tongue/Hitch Weight – The weight/pressure applied from the trailer tongue/coupler to the conventional/bumper hitch on your vehicle.
- Pin Weight – This is often referred to as the weight/pressure applied from fifth wheel king pin to the hitch in the bed of your truck.
- Payload Capacity – For Trucks the amount of weight you can safely add to the bed of the truck. Your Fifth Wheels Hitch Weight or Pin Weight plus the actual weight of hitch plus any other accessories you have in the bed of the truck must not exceed the Payload Capacity amount. Confirm Payload Capacity with your vehicle’s manufacturer.
- Max Towing Capacity – The maximum weight limit that can safely be towed by your specific vehicle. This weight is calculated by adding the RV’s GVW with weight of all passengers, cargo, and liquids in your tow vehicle